Monday, August 9, 2021

Day 3: Is It Christmas Yet?

In today's episode, we learn that not every day is a great day.

Of course, we already knew that from the time BH (that's Before Homeschooling), right? Nothing new there.

But when the young man sleeps until 11 (yes, that happened and I let it - it was extremely difficult on my part, but the natural consequence was that he didn't have time to do what he wanted to do, namely screen time, and he actually really hated it) and doesn't take his medication because he woke up too late to take it so the focus is just not there today, the fact that work (which for me happens in my living room) is crazy and I spent at least an hour and a half on the phone with various parties trying to find someone who would willingly fill his prescription is just too much.

So, it's 9pm and there's a Spanish lesson being finished on the couch. Natural consequences.

However, here's what we gained:
  1. He devised a plan on his own for how he plans to get himself out of bed in the morning (problem solving!)
  2. He actually ate today (no medication-induced appetite suppression!)
  3. I got a good chance to work on my prayer practice, my patience, and my empathy (after lunch I took him an ice cream cone upstairs to eat while he worked because I could tell he really was trying his hardest and I felt like the coolest mom)
  4. We spent time together discussing and reviewing language arts, science, and social studies
  5. We read a devotional together on my Bible app at the end of dinner
  6. He helped me make dinner
  7. We went to the gym together
  8. He suggested that I add MORE responsibilities to his list (don't worry, I woke up before medical assistance became necessary)
I can honestly say, just from past experience, that very little (if any) of that would have happened if he was going to school all day every day.

What have we learned today? It's okay for every day not to be the Best Day Ever, because God has some good stuff in store for us no matter what.

That, and to go ahead and have that glass of red and handful of Cheez-Its while you're making dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Spirit of Inquiry

In a post I never thought I'd be writing, we have entered Season 3 of "Homeschooling as a Working Single Parent." Yes, we'...